This majestic range was also known by the Sindarin name Hithaeglir (S. "Walls of Mist). It was thrown up fairly late in the history of the world, possibly at just the time of the Elves' awakening in Cuivienen. Its effect on the local topography was dramatic: the lands on both sides of the range were lifted and torn by the violence of the event, leading to the creation of broken, eroded fells on the western slopes and sheet ptecipices on the east. The flanks of the Misty Mountains had never been heavily populated at any time in history.
- Type: Mountain Range.Length: 865 miles from Carn Dûm in the north to Methedras (above Angrenost) in the south.
- Elevation: average peak elevation: 10.000-12.000 feet.lowest peak: Faeras (S. "Spirit Peak") 7.983fcct. highest peak: Caradhras (S. " Redhorn" ) I6,002fcet.
- Climate: average annual precipitation: 80+ inches.mean annual température. 32-42° F average low: 1 5 ° F avenge high: 6 5 ° F
- Composition:The Misty Mountains are composed primarilyof limestone and granite with significant igneous intrusions of basalt and granite, particularly near the middle of the range. Igneous activity at the southern end of the range resulted in the creation of the glass volcanic rock known as laen. Even where Dwarves and Orcs have not been at work, the mountains are full of caverns and tunnels. The establishment of Moria by Durin resulted in the discovery of mithril in Middle-earth and resulted in the mining of many precious metals. The Dwarves of Moria mine no small amount of gold, copper, and silver from their halls, along with some gemstones and many less precious metals. To the north and south of Moria, copper and iron ores are plentiful. The western foothills consist primarily of dark red sandstone, while the eastern valleys are filled with an oily black shale.
- Notes: The Misty Mountains create a formidable barrier
between Eriador and the lands of Rhovanion. Indeed, the Elves state that Melkor raised the chain to hinder them on their Great Journey to the Sea. Only a few passes cross the Hithaeglir, and foul weather renders even these paths unsuitable for many months of the year. Most of the higher peaks (above 11,5(X) feet) retain snow throughout the year, especially at the northern end of the range. Glaciers and permanent snow fields are prevalent. The tree line varies from 4,(XX) feet near Angmar to over 9,000 feet is one approaches the Gap of Calenardhon. The Dwarves report that a complex of Under-deeps lies beneath the roots of the mountains, far below where even the Dwarves and Orcs fear to tread. Legends hold that the Under-deeps are filled with horrors which have never seen the light of the Sun.
Settlements and Places of Note
T.A. ca.1640: Brin Coch Carn Dûm Eagle´s Eyrie Geann a-Sruth Giant's Isle Glin a-Faich Gollum's Cave Goblin-Gate Gundabad Hawrim Taigh Hrithur's Haven Iorbar's Peak Iskeld's Lookout Lag-lhach Lag-orod Lag-sharak Lag-thrugrim Moria Mount Gram Mukargs last refuge Nanduhirion Orod Laden Rakhas-Bizar Ugilai Ugtilai Zarak-dum Zaugurz
T.-A. ca. 3018: Akûltot Bergel's Notch Bitter Stair Black Crack Bruinen Source East Bruinen Source North Bruinen Source West Caldwell Pool Ceber Los Cirith Daur Cirith Imladris Dómstoll (Giant’s Throne) Erforgh Cleft Everwind Frosthyle Pond Gabilazan Ghâshru Giant Halls Giant's Needle Glimmering caves. Gloin's Camp Gnome's earth chalet Goblin-town Greybough End Halmur Stoneshaper's Tomb Helegrod High Crag High Passes Hrimbarg Hríthur's Haven Iorbar Iskeld's Lookout Lornstone Men Helch Mountain's Throat Nordinbad Northtarn Orod Laden Pinnath Fenui Rakhâs-bizar small bridge Snowreap Starkhath Stonecaller's Circle Vindurhal Whitcleft Writhenbores
Aksa Ruin Amon Thyryn Angirith Anorras Azanulbizar Back Door Cirith Caradhras Cirith Formen en Andrath Cloudpass Cloudyhead Den Loke Eikhall Dale Fearas Forbidding Heights Front Porch Frosthyle Pond Giant Trace High Pass Hithaeglir Foothills Imlad Norn Lake Hyord Lôkosîr Mammoth Valley Methedras Misty Passes Nan Curunir Nan Gongarag Nanduhirion Nanil Ruin Old Pass Orglob Glacier Overhanging Rock Redhorn Redhorn Gate Rocky Crags Silvertine Snarskrith Dell Southern High Pass Whitcleft Wolf Gate
- Dwarves:Draimmer Gorin of Nordinbad Nordri Steppin
- Eagles: Beleram Gwaihir Landroval Meneldor
- Giants:Cluag Orad Ridorthu
- Orcs: Ashrak Azog Druzhag Durburz Gorkil Groblog great Goblin Mazog
- MERP:Angmar Land of the Witch King
- MERP:Dunland and the Southern Misty Mountains
- MERP:Moria - The Dwarven City
- MERP:Mount Gundabad
- MERP:Northwestern Middle-earth Gazetteer
- MERP:Trolls of the Misty Mountains
- LotrAG:Over the Misty Mountains Cold
- LOTRO:The Misty Mountains
- Questgame:Mines of Moria
All items (143)